Sunday, August 17, 2014

They're Right - America (and the rest of the world) Has Talent

Recently I came across this gem - a video of a couple in a car synching the lyrics to, "You're the One That I Want" from Grease. The catch - they don't sing it, they sign it. Uber clever and fun and impossible to be in a bad mood while watching. Go ahead, try. I'll wait.


There are tons of these kinds of videos out there, most on YouTube, most by amateurs, all terribly clever and creative and talented and brave. Following are some of my favorite - the ones I can, and do, watch over and over. Hopefully they'll make you smile, laugh, get goosebumps, all of the above, whatever.

I Got a Feeling Lip Dub - a true team effort from a group of students at a university in Quebec. I have no idea how many times they tried this before they got it right - but just that so many people were involved, and the fact that it was done in one, continuous shot is simply amazing. Watch for the clever use of props matching the lyrics. Impossible to catch them all in one viewing.



Grand Rapids Lip Dub - this record-setting effort, which Roger Ebert called, 'the greatest music video ever made' was the town's response when Newsweek magazine included them on their list of America's Dying Cities. Again, the sheer scale alone makes this worth watching.



Hey Teach, a Lecture Musical - a slightly different setup where hidden cameras are set up and someone does something in front of a group.  Some are done by a few people, some by flash mobs. There are a ton out there (see Frozen Grand Central or Christmas Food Court Hallelujah), but this is one of my favorite. Kudos to the teacher for playing along.



Som Sabadell Flashmob - same concept, for fans of classical music.



We No Speak Americano - technically these guys aren't amateurs I guess, after using this video to vault them into paying gigs (at least one in the form of a McDonalds commercial.) But before they reached the heights of fast food fame, they put this together. 'Be Amazing' is written on the wall behind them. Check.  Not allowed to show the video window for this one; hopefully the link will work:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iANRO3I30nM 


Ultimate Dog Tease - with 159 million views you've probably seen this, but it's short and it's clever and it deserves a spot on this list.



There are many, many more out there that I'm not remembering. As I do I'll update this post. But if you can't wait, check this out.

Happy viewing.

1 comment:

JLP said...

:)Love it!